Welcome to . . .
Northern Suburbs Netball Incorporated
Northern Suburbs Netball is a Junior Satellite of Netball Wellington Centre.
We are comprised of 19 Primary and Intermediate Schools within the Northern Suburbs, providing students (from year 1 through to year 8 inclusive) with the opportunity to participate in Netball.
At our recent committee meeting we reviewed our uniform guidelines for year 5-8 netball. This paper reflects that discussion, and the decisions made by the committee to trial for the remainder of the 2019 season.
Note there is no change to year 1-4 uniform, where players can wear whatever they would like.
We decided that the following were the key purposes of NSN.
- Promote netball
- Enable kids to play and participate in netball
- Enable kids to compete in netball
- Develop a concept of team
- Build confidence
- Make it a fun environment so that kids will want to come back the next season
- Provide opportunities for skill development
We then discussed what the key requirements for a uniform were when taking the above into account. This is what we came up with.
- Needed teams to be identifiable/differentiated from each other (including bibs)
- Should be comfortable to wear
- Suit the purpose
- Provide warmth
- Enhance safety
In addition to the above we discussed the benefits of a uniform as opposed to no uniform are
- Gives a sense of pride - representing the school
- Sense of belonging - something that is bigger than self
- For some schools there is a different uniform for the year 7 and 8s, so provides a sense of achievement representing the 'senior' school
Based on the above discussion the committee decided that we would trial the following for the remainder of the season and seek feedback from our members to establish a set of guidelines for 2020 and beyond.
- Schools have the final decision on what they will allow as part of their uniform, and can decide on which colours are acceptable etc. Schools need to confirm their decision with NSN.
- Players can continue to wear thermals (top and leggings) under their uniform. Schools can review what colours/styles they will allow. Recommendation is to keep it simple and something that parents can easily find. Relax the rules around specifics - so if the thermal is mainly the registered colour then that is ok.
- Players may wear a sweatshirt/hoodie/jacket under their bib - in the colour that the school accepts. Schools to make a decision that is easiest for the majority to achieve without creating an additional cost. Could be a school colour, could be a common colour
- Any garment that has a hood or ties needs to have the hood and ties tucked inside the garment for safety reasons
- Beanies will be accepted - common sense please, no big pompoms etc. No hats with ties
- Religious or cultural clothing will be accepted, schools to advise NSN so that we can ensure that court controllers and duty umpire are aware.
- If at any stage an umpire/duty umpire/court controller believes there is a safety issue in regard to clothing, then this must be removed
- Teams and players can decide for themselves when they think it is cold enough to wear extra layers.
The decision to trial the changes is to see if we can achieve having a more relaxed uniform policy, enable children to stay warm when needed, but still maintain the integrity of having a uniform. We will provide an opportunity at the end of the season for schools and parents to give feedback on the trial and any recommendations moving forward.
Schools can decide and communicate to families what they will accept as colours and additional garments.
Trial will begin Saturday 3 August.
Years 5-8 Competition Round Draw
[ CLICK HERE ] to view the latest Northern Suburbs Netball Draw. Please remember that this draw is not finalised until Wednesday night and may change up til this point.
Note: the last game of the round is being played on the 24th August, with a reserve day on the 31st August. Any cancellations during the round will result in the reserve day being a game day. Please plan accordingly.
Player Development Programme
Registrations for the PDP programme have now closed.
The BBQ roster for Terms 2 & 3 2019 is now available:
School Registration Years 1 & 2
Registration for year 1-2 players has now closed.
NSN cancellation policy
Click here to download the updated policy 2018-08 NSN cancellation policy
Updated Handbook for 2018
Here's a great read which answers many basic questions and a few of those things you are just not sure about. You might even learn something completely new too. Thanks to all the committee members who have helped updated it. Click on 'Handbook 2018' below to see the PDF.
Queries . . .
If you have a query your first contact is your school delegate. Emails received from parents/members will be referred back to your delegate.